November 7, 2018
Job Description: Industrial Hygienist Technician
Location: Kirtland Air Force Base, New Mexico
- Minimum of four years professional industrial hygiene experience
- Experience with DoD operations and occupational health programs is preferred
- Experience with the Defense Occupational and Environmental Health Readiness System (DOEHRS-IH) online database is preferred
- Ability to obtain CAC card for access to base
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills Needed:
- Understanding of industrial hygiene principles and broad scope industrial hygiene experience
- Ability to perform qualitative and quantitative evaluations of work environments and industrial processes involving potentially hazardous occupational conditions (including thermal stressors, noise, chemical, biological, and ergonomic hazards)
- Ability to develop and follow a sampling plan and calibrate and use measurement equipment (such as air sampling pumps, sound level meters, noise dosimeters, photoionization detectors, etc.) to quantitatively evaluate occupational hazards
- Experience in evaluating ventilation systems, both for controls and indoor air quality, and familiarity with the ACGIH guides on industrial ventilation
- Ability to conduct literature searches related to specific hazards
- Effective communication and organizational skills
- Ability to work within a team environment
- Perform various duties to assess work practices and environmental conditions for hazards to the health and safety of workers as described above. Duties include conducting complex studies, routine surveys, analyzing findings and preparing data for inclusion in reports, DOEHRS, and writing technical reports. Environmental conditions include a variety of hazards, e.g., chemical, laser, bacteriological, noise, heat, cold, ionizing and non-ionizing radiation, etc.
- Assigned work areas include a variety of industrial shops, production areas, laboratories, confined spaces and outdoor work sites. The employee shall conduct surveys to identify and evaluate potential health hazards, conduct industrial respirator and military gas-mask fit-testing and training, and review applicable AF Form 3952s and update records in EESOH-MIS as necessary.
- Responsible for assessing, planning for and identifying required IH equipment and supplies necessary to fulfill the assigned sampling requirements.
- Ability to communicate technical information orally and in writing, prepare correspondence, briefings, and recurring and special reports regarding industrial hygiene related issues.